Our Curriculum Intent:
At Orchard Lea Infant school our broad and balanced curriculum will provide all children with creative opportunities for enjoyment and achievement.
- To provide all pupils with equal access to a rich, broad, balanced and differentiated curriculum matched well to their ages, abilities, interests, attitudes and special needs.
- To increase pupil’s knowledge, skills and understanding as they grow and develop and strengthen their connections with the world around them by providing a wealth of opportunities to immerse children in the world around them, gaining first hand learning experiences.
- To execute a curriculum that is creative, carefully planned and structured to ensure that learning is continuous and that pupils make good progress in the development of their learning with language and vocabulary at the core.
- To engage the children’s interest by offering excellent opportunities to extend creative learning, challenge their imagination, value originality and to encourage and motivate them to want to learn, which will be enhanced by the role of creative practitioners.
- To open their eyes to awe and wonder and cause them to marvel at the incredible and fantastic world in which they live.
- To provide children with a curriculum which enables them to develop their talents, skills and a love of learning.
|Self chosen topic||Self chosen topic|
Self chosen topic
Shape, colour and pattern /
Self chosen topic
|Gardens and Growing|
Chinese New Year /
|Self chosen topics|
|Year 1||All About Me||All Aboard!||Animal Magic|
Fire! Fire! / Angels
|We love books||Growing|
Transport and Titanic
|Dragons and Castles||The Beach|
We try and instill a love of reading in our children through providing them with daily opportunities to read and tell stories with adults and peers. A systematic approach to teaching phonics ensures children develop fluency and confidence in reading and spelling. We use the Read, Write, Inc Phonic scheme of work to support children’s reading.
For more detailed curriculum coverage for each year group please see our topic webs and termly newsletters. These can be found on the tabs for Reception, Year One and Year Two in the Our Learning/Curriculum section on the website.
Please click below to see our Religious Education Long Term Plan.
Please click below to see our overview grid for 2018 – 2019.